Non-standard Computer Use Policy
For the 2009-2010 academic year, families in Grades Five through 11 are required to have a Tablet PC. As we continue to phase in our Tablet PC program this coming academic year, the program will encompass Grades Four through Eleven. Garrison Forest recognizes that students in Grade 12 (during the 2009-2010 academic year) will not be part of our Tablet PC program and that some families might want to purchase a computer of their own choosing. To accommodate these families, the following are the 2009-2010 requirements for a non-standard computer:
- The non-standard computer MUST be purchased in the U.S.
- Garrison Forest cannot support machines purchased outside of the U.S.
- Windows XP Professional (English) or the latest version of Mac OS X (English) Note: Windows Vista is not supported for the 2009-2010 academic year.
- A current subscription to the GFS Symantec anti-virus software (purchase via GFS $15.00 per license).
- Microsoft Office 2007 with Microsoft OneNote recommended. (Office 2007 Enterprise edition (includes OneNote is available through Garrison Forest for $75.00).
- Working Login Script*
*The login script is unique to the Garrison Forest School network and gives users access to school resources: printers, home and shared directories, antivirus updates, and Microsoft Windows updates. While our script works on most computers, we cannot guarantee that it runs on all of them. If the Garrison Forest login script will not run on a non-standard computer, our service provider will be contacted to revise the script and test it on our network. The family will be charged a fee based on the provider’s hourly fee of $225.00.
If these conditions are met, students with a non-standard computer will have access to:
- Secure home and shared directories, backed up Monday through Friday
- Access to campus printersVirus scans and updates
- Microsoft Windows updates
- Access to the Internet, FirstClass email, and the GFS library databases
Students with a non-standard computer will not have access to:
- Hardware support
- Access to loaner computers
Loaner Pool Usage
When a student’s Tablet PC needs to be sent out for repair during the school year, that student will be issued a loaner computer of the same model. Under normal circumstances, loaners will not be issued during the summer months. Whenever possible the student’s own hard drive will be placed in the loaner so that the student may continue to use her own work environment. When in possession of a loaner Tablet PC student must adhere to the following:
- The student is responsible for returning the loaner promptly when her repaired Tablet PC is available.
- Failure to return a loaner in a timely manner may result in the assessment of late fees to be determined and applied at the School’s discretion.
- A student may not install additional software without the expressed permission of the Office of Technology Support.
- Students are required to be responsible in their care of a loaner computer in their possession.
- Repair of damage to a loaner in excess of normal wear and tear is the financial responsibility of the student’s family.
- Determination of such excess damage is at the School’s discretion.