Middle School Back to School Information
- Orientation for all new and returning students and parents is Wednesday, August 28, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM. All new and returning students and parents will meet with the student's advisor, receive class schedules and discuss class events for the year. Students are not in uniform for this day.
- A special program for all 6th Grade students and new 7th and 8th Grade students will run from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM. Students will get a chance to meet more teachers, learn additional routines and expectations of the Middle School, get tours, participate in a question/answer session and begin to bond with fellow classmates. Students need to pack a lunch to eat between the morning Orientation session and this special program.
- All parents who are new to the Middle School (all 6th Grade, new 7th & 8th Grade) are invited to a luncheon with Shannon Schmidt, Head of Middle School, as well as current families, from 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM. While new students are in their special program, parents can meet with returning families for a casual lunch with Q&A. Lunch will be served in the Dining Hall. Kindly RSVP by emailing Barbara Laverdiere, Middle School Administrative Assistant (BarbaraLaverdiere@gfs.org).
- Please take advantage of the optional locker move-in time on Wednesday, August 28, from 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM (this is highly recommended). Each Middle School student receives her own locker, which she may decorate and accessorize. Setting up locker shelves (please see Supply List for details) and moving in supplies before Orientation will ease any worries about completing that task and allow for more time for students to enjoy the day together.
- Please visit our Middle School Parent Page to obtain our Supply List, Summer Reading and Summer Math resources and our Permissions Form that must be signed and returned to the Middle School Office
New 8th Grade Boarding Students, please see arrival information under the Boarding Students heading below.
- On Monday, August 19, all Prefect arrive ready to move-in between 9:00-12:00 PM
- On Tuesday, August 27, all Orientation Team (O-Team) members return, ready to participate in O-Team activities by 1:00 PM.
- On Sunday, August 25, All NEW and returning boarding students (8th - 12th Grade) arrive between 9:00 AM and 12:00 PM (noon).
- On Monday, August 26, Orientation activities for new boarding students and their families will take place.
- On Monday, August 26, more orientation for all boarding students will take place.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Thursday, August 29, 2019 (Cycle Day 1).
PLEASE NOTE: Although classes typically start at 9:00 AM on Thursdays, school will start at the normal daily start time in your division for the first day of classes. Students in Kindergarten through 12th Grade should come in uniform beginning August 29 and have all of their books and supplies for classes.
For Middle School students, doors will open at 7:30 AM, and we ask that students arrive at 7:45 AM but no later than 7:55 AM. Multiple teachers will be there to check students in and help with any questions. Middle School Extended Day begins on Thursday, August 30 as well. Classes will begin promptly at 8:00 AM for this first day of classes.
EVERY STUDENT ENROLLED FOR 2019-20 IS REQUIRED TO HAVE UPDATED HEALTH RECORDS IN MAGNUS.
The Magnus deadline is August 1. If a student does not have updated, complete health records by September 30, the first day of school, that student will be unable to participate in classes until the forms are complete. The Health Center is happy to answer any questions you may have about the forms at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-559-3200.