Coach Liza Blue '10 was herself a standout athlete at Garrison Forest in field hockey, basketball and lacrosse; earning honors such as:
- Two-time first-team All-American ('09, '10)
- Two-time first-team Academic All-American ('09, '10)
- Under Armour All-American ('10)
- Three-time IAAM Conference All-Star ('08, '09, '10)
- Two-time Baltimore Sun second-team All-Metro ('09, '10)
- Garrison Forest's Emblem Award for field hockey and lacrosse ('10)
- Garrison Forest's Athletic Award ('10)
- Graduated Cum Laude
- National English Merit Scholar
- Player of the Year for MD in Lacrosse.
Coach Blue went on to the University of Virginia, where she was a multi-sport athlete, playing field hockey and lacrosse for the Cavaliers. Coach Liza reached two NCAA Final Fours with both teams and earned numerous honors:
- IWLCA All-America Third Team (2x)
- IWLCA All-South Region First Team (2x)
- Mid-season addition to the Tewaaraton Watch List
- VaSid All-State Second Team
- Finished her career ranked seventh on the Virginia all-time career goals list with 139
- Fifth on the Virginia all-time career draw controls list with 135
-ACC All-Academic Team all four years
Liza Blue holds a B.S. in Kinesiology and a Masters in Teaching from the University of Virginia.
Since graduating from Virginia, Liza has been the assistant Varsity Lacrosse Coach at St. Anne’s-Belfield, lacrosse clinician, and a club coach in lacrosse and field hockey.
Liza Blue ’10 returned to Garrison Forest in 2016 to join the External Programs Department. She has been coaching MS A lacrosse and MS A field hockey since coming on. 2019-20 Coach Liza is taking over the Varsity Lacrosse team as well as overseeing the development of lacrosse at every level of the school. She is thrilled to be back at her alma mater and GFS Athletics couldn't be more thankful to have her leading the program. Go Grizzlies!
Julie Gardner joins us in her second year as the defensive coordinator for the Garrison Forest Varsity Lacrosse. She played midfield at the University of Virginia with Head Coach Liza Blue. Julie spent 4 years coaching at the Division 1 level - spending her time as assistant coach at William & Mary, Vanderbilt, and James Madison University.
Julie’s coaching philosophy is influenced by her passion for mindfulness and meditation. She believes in breaking strategy and skill down to its most basic level and providing student athletes with the “why” behind everything they do. Julie also believes that it is important to provide athletes with time and space to learn and appreciate the skill of self reflection and realization. This can only benefit themselves, as well as their teammates, coaching staff and program as a whole.
Julie is originally from Severna Park, Maryland. She will be moving to Pennsylvania this summer with her husband but looks forward to checking back in to see the growth of the Garrison Forest lacrosse program!