Coach Liza Blue '10 was herself a standout athlete at Garrison Forest in field hockey, basketball and lacrosse; earning honors such as:
- Two-time first-team All-American ('09, '10)
- Two-time first-team Academic All-American ('09, '10)
- Under Armour All-American ('10)
- Three-time IAAM Conference All-Star ('08, '09, '10)
- Two-time Baltimore Sun second-team All-Metro ('09, '10)
- Garrison Forest's Emblem Award for field hockey and lacrosse ('10)
- Garrison Forest's Athletic Award ('10)
- Graduated Cum Laude
- National English Merit Scholar
- Player of the Year for MD in Lacrosse.
Coach Blue went on to the University of Virginia, where she was a multi-sport athlete, playing field hockey and lacrosse for the Cavaliers. Coach Liza reached two NCAA Final Fours with both teams and earned numerous honors:
- IWLCA All-America Third Team (2x)
- IWLCA All-South Region First Team (2x)
- Mid-season addition to the Tewaaraton Watch List
- VaSid All-State Second Team
- Finished her career ranked seventh on the Virginia all-time career goals list with 139
- Fifth on the Virginia all-time career draw controls list with 135
-ACC All-Academic Team all four years
Liza Blue holds a B.S. in Kinesiology and a Masters in Teaching from the University of Virginia.
Since graduating from Virginia, Liza has been the assistant Varsity Lacrosse Coach at St. Anne’s-Belfield, lacrosse clinician, and a club coach in lacrosse and field hockey.
Liza Blue ’10 returned to Garrison Forest in 2016 to join the External Programs Department. She has been coaching MS A lacrosse and MS A field hockey since coming on. 2019-20 Coach Liza is taking over the Varsity Lacrosse team as well as overseeing the development of lacrosse at every level of the school. She is thrilled to be back at her alma mater and GFS Athletics couldn't be more thankful to have her leading the program. Go Grizzlies!
Coach Julie attended Severna Park High School (MD) where she was a multi-year All-Met selection as well as Player of the Year for MD in Lacrosse her senior year. Gardner scored 51 goals and had 17 assists for the 20-0 Maryland 4A/3A champion Falcons, including six goals in the state championship win over Catonsville HS.
She played collegiately for UVA from 2008-2012 where she would go on to earn All-State, All-Region and All-American accolades from the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) in 2012 as a midfielder. At Virginia, Gardner was the first recipient of the Yeardley Reynolds Love Scholarship, presented to a deserving female student-athlete on the Virginia lacrosse team.
She finished her playing career in the Women's Professional Lacrosse for the UWLX in 2016.
Coach Julie went on to coach for multiple Division 1 Lacrosse programs: William & Mary, Vanderbilt University, and James Madison University.
Garrison Forest is extremely excited to have Coach Julie help lead the GFS Varsity Lacrosse program.
Coach Townsend played Men's Lacrosse for Johns Hopkins University (90-93’). Townsend played attack for the Blue Jay's and played in two Division I NCAA Final Fours. Townsend also played 4 years of club lacrosse including Toyota and Green Turtle.
Coach Townsend on his coaching philosophy, "My focus from a coaching standpoint is primarily individual play – dodging, shooting, defensive positioning, field awareness – and generally helping to build confidence in the girls from teaching proper fundamental of the areas above that they can then build on."
Coach Townsend joined the staff in 2018 and GFS is thankful to have him working with our student-athletes.