Garrison Forest School is seeking an experienced, creative and dynamic individual for a full-time faculty position in our Middle & Upper School teaching French commencing August 2020. The candidate will be joining a community of collegial faculty members working together to build a hands-on, relevant curriculum that delivers "knowledge that sticks". Ideal candidates will be interested in preparing our students to live and work in a global and multicultural society. A desire to contribute to the leadership and scholarship of young women are important qualities for this position, as well as an ability to build positive, constructive relationships with students. This position reports to the Head of the Middle School and meets with the Chair of the World Languages Department.
Garrison Forest School, located in Baltimore County, Maryland, is an independent, non-sectarian day and boarding school educating girls in grades K-12, with a coed preschool. GFS offers a national and international boarding program for girls in grades 8-12. Founded in 1910 and set on a stunning 110-acre campus in suburban Owings Mills, Garrison Forest offers a program with a wealth of opportunities in Academics, the Arts, and Athletics. Confident, creative and compassionate, GFS girls are encouraged to be fully engaged within the school and with the local and global community around them as they develop their passions and their own authentic voices in a spirited and joyful environment.
- B.A. degree or equivalent – Master's degree desirable
- Prior experience working with children in a school
- GFS seeks candidates who will contribute to and are committed to diversity and multicultural educational practices. Demonstrated ability working in a diverse community is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
Garrison Forest School seeks a full-time French teacher who can support and promote the mission and philosophy of the School. Duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter with a course-load of five French courses in the Middle and Upper Divisions
- Serve as an advisor to a group of Middle School students in one particular grade level
- Possess strong communication skills, a patient and thorough understanding of early adolescence and the ability to effectively collaborate with colleagues
- Work alongside grade-level teams to build cross-curricular connections and interdisciplinary projects
- Work alongside the Middle School administrative team to build a meaningful learning experience for students
- Create a secure and stimulating environment in which students grow in both autonomy and the ability to work and interact together
- Take responsibility for being a role model by maintaining an environment that fosters respect among students and colleagues
- Contribute to the life of the School by chaperoning one-weekend activity for the Residential Life program, and additional opportunities as a coach or faculty advisor to co-curricular activities
- Guide students in experiential language and cultural learning, including, but not limited to, field trips and community events
- Interest in using comprehensible input strategies, TPRS, and authentic resources.
Candidates should support the Mission, Core Values, and Statement of Respect of Garrison Forest School. Garrison Forest School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or disability in its employment policies and other school-administered programs. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Information can be mailed to Vanessa Griffin, Assistant to the Head of School, Garrison Forest School, 300 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills, Maryland 21117. No telephone calls, please.