The Garrison Forest uniform tradition is intended to enhance school spirit and pride and allow students to focus on learning. The spirit in which a uniform is worn reflects the standards of the community.
The uniform standards differ with each division (detailed below). Students who are required to be in uniform (Kindergarten-12th Grade) are expected to wear clothes that are clean, neat and in good repair. Students may not wear sweatshirts—including the GFS sweatshirt—or other clothing that has been cut or ripped. Students are not permitted to color, deface, or alter any part of the uniform.
Uniforms may be purchased at Flynn & O’Hara or through the GFS Parent Association’s Grizzly Gear. Additional uniform items are available at the School Store.
School-day uniform for 9th-12th Grade
Find more information about Upper School uniform standards here: GFS Uniform Code.
- GFS kilt: Purchased at Flynn & O'Hara or Grizzly Gear (see right). All students are expected to own a properly fitting GFS kilt and must wear it on designated kilt days.
- GFS sweatshirts, sweaters and fleeces that are in uniform are sold in the School Store
- Navy full-length pants: chino, poplin, twill or corduroy full-length pants. No knit pants, jeans or pants with cargo pockets are permitted. No visible insignias or labels are allowed.
- Students may wear navy blue chino Bermuda style shorts in addition to the skirts and long pants. These shorts must be knee length.
- White polo shirt; plain, loose fitting with short or long sleeves: No visible insignias or labels are allowed. The polo should have a short, wide placket. NOTE: Students may wear plain, white t-shirts under polo shirts, but the t-shirt may not be visible above the collar, below the sleeves or below the hem of the polo shirt. Students may wear their polo shirts untucked if the shirt is no more than hip-length and properly hemmed.
- Shorts of any kind under kilt: Shorts may not be visible.
- Navy GFS sweatshirt, sweater or fleece: These must have light blue (or white) lettering and must be worn over a white polo shirt. These items are available in the GFS School Store, located in Manor House.
- White socks (crew or athletic ankle socks) OR navy knee-highs.
- Athletic tie shoes: no high tops or slip-ons are allowed.
- Royal blue tunic with belt
- Blue and white cord skirt
- Both may be purchased at Flynn & O’Hara School Uniforms or Grizzly Gear.
- GFS belts: Plain brown or black belts may be worn, if desired; these items are available in the GFS School Store.
- White turtleneck shirt: loose-fitting, long sleeved; no mock turtlenecks.
- White or navy blue spandex may be worn under shorts. Available in the GFS School Store.
- Navy tights: available in the GFS School Store.
- Navy or black leggings: available in spandex or cotton. No tights or leggings in other colors, long underwear, sweatpants or wind pants are permitted. Available in the GFS School Store.
- Brown leather flat, tie shoes: no boots, clogs, slippers or sandals are allowed. Athletic tie shoes (no high tops or slip-ons, are allowed).
- Hats, including baseball hats and visors and scarves are prohibited inside academic buildings unless worn for religious reasons.
- Kilt Days: All students are expected to own a properly fitting GFS kilt and must wear it on designated kilt days which are generally EVERY FRIDAY.
- Physical Education classes: Students must wear shorts (no tunics, pants or skirts), uniform shirt, athletic shoes, socks, GFS sweatshirt and navy sweatpants. Sweatpants may be worn for PE classes ONLY.
- Game Days: Team members may wear a game day shirt (navy embroidered “Grizzly” emblem or other approved shirt) on game days. Shirts may be purchased through the Athletic Department.
- Outerwear: When outside academic buildings, students may wear jackets, GFS athletic jackets or winter coats. Students must take off jackets immediately upon entering academic buildings along with any hats, scarves and gloves. Non-GFS sweatshirts or sweaters MAY NOT be worn at any time.
- Gum: Students may not chew gum while in uniform or at any time during the academic day.
- Field trips: Students must follow the directions of the trip leader regarding attire. Unless otherwise specified, students are expected to wear dress-casual, modest, unrevealing clothing and shoes.
- Out-of-uniform days: Students must wear modest attire appropriate for school. No strap tops, bare midriffs, very short skirts and other tight and/or revealing clothing.
School-day uniform for 6th-8th Grade:
- GFS tartan kilt (required for all students) or royal blue tunic with belt
- Navy chino, poplin, twill or corduroy full-length pants (no cargo style pockets or zippers at the bottoms)
- White turtleneck shirt (no mock turtlenecks allowed)
- White polo shirt: plain, loose fitting with sort or long sleeves (no visible insignias or labels are permitted). NOTE: Students may wear plain, white tee shirts under their polo shirts, but the tee shirt may not be visible above the collar, below the sleeves or below the hem of the polo shirt. Students may wear the polo shirts untucked if the shirt is no more than hip length and is properly hemmed
- White or navy spandex under GFS shorts (shorts available in the School Store or Grizzly Gear)
- Navy GFS sweater or sweatshirts, may be worn inside the building. Jackets and fleece must be removed after entering school building. Long sleeve T-shirt’s are not considered sweaters or sweatshirts and are not in uniform. For our gear questions, please see divisional Dean of students.
- White socks (crew or athletic) must be visible above shoe line or navy knee high socks
- Navy tights or GFS running tights (no tights in other colors, long underwear, sweatpants, yoga pants or wind pants)
- Navy GFS shorts under skirt or tunic (skirt or tunic must cover the shorts)
- Brown leather, laced, Oxford-style shoes or athletic shoes; no slip-on type shoes are allowed
- GFS belts
- When outside academic buildings, students may wear winter coats.
- Students may not bring coats into classrooms; coats must be stored in lockers.
Physical Education Uniform:
- Students must wear GFS shorts and the GFS Physical Education tee shirt. Both are available in the GFS School Store.
- Students will receive their shirts the first day of Physical Education class in the fall.
- K-4th Grade: GFS tartan jumper, white shirt or polo shirt with sleeves and a collar; solid white long sleeved turtlenecks may be worn in cold weather.
- 5th Grade: GFS tartan kilt, white shirt or polo shirt with sleeves and a collar; solid white long sleeved turtlenecks may be worn in cold weather.
For K-5th Grade:
- Girls should dress for the weather, including raincoats and sufficient outerwear for a trip across campus.
- Visible insignias and labels are not permitted.
- GFS gym shorts (available in School Store or Grizzly Gear) are worn under the skirt or jumper but may not be visible.
- All Lower School students must wear sneakers every day (no high tops or slip-ons) with solid white socks or solid navy or black tights or leggings (leggings may be purchased in the School Store).
- All students may wear solid navy blue cardigans, navy pullover sweaters (plain or cable knit) or any GFS sweatshirt, sweater or fleece that is sold in the School Store.
- Students may wear navy chino, poplin, twill or corduroy full-length pants (no cargo style pockets or zippers at the bottoms).
- Sweatpants and wind pants are not considered uniform attire. Outerwear may not be worn indoors.
- Use parental discretion with respect to the wearing of jewelry during the school day. Small, simple jewelry and watches are permitted, but parents should be aware that these items are easily misplaced and lost during an active school day.
- Please mark all clothing with your child's name. We cannot emphasize enough the importance of marking clearly ALL clothing, including sneakers. You are also strongly encouraged to check the Lost and Found periodically for lost items.
Physical Education uniform:
- K-5th Grade: GFS gym shorts, a white shirt (no insignia), sneakers and white socks. They must also bring a mouth guard and case to class for specific sports seasons.
- Children participating in the riding program will be instructed as to proper apparel.
- K-1st Grade: On their scheduled riding day, students should wear their riding pants, a uniform shirt and sneakers to school on their scheduled riding day. They will change into boots before riding.
- 2nd- 5th Grade: Riders will change into pants and boots for riding before they are picked up by the van. Younger students must have pull-on or zipper riding boots, not boots that tie. All riders must be able to dress themselves quickly and independently.
The Preschool does not have a uniform. Children should come dressed each day in comfortable clothing that allows for movement and independence for bathroom use (avoid complicated buttons, snaps, etc.). Arts and crafts are a big part of daily life in the Preschool, so clothes may get messy.
Girls and boys should dress for the weather, including raincoats and sufficient outerwear for a trip across campus.
All children must wear closed, rubber-soled shoes every day. No Crocs, sandals or flip-flops.
Organized and run by the Parent Association, Grizzly Gear offers a wide selection of gently used uniforms and spirit wear. Hours are as posted or by appointment. Grizzly Gear is cash and check only. All proceeds benefit the Parent Association. Donation boxes are in each division. Grizzly Gear is located in the basement of Meadowood.
Summer Grizzly Gear Hours
June 20th 4:30 - 5:30 pm
August 9th 9:30-10:30 am
Check back in August for the 2019-2020 schedule!
If you would like to volunteer for Grizzly Gear or have questions please email Lara Nicolson.
Flynn & O’Hara Uniforms
Loch Raven Plaza
Parkville, MD 21234
The School Store sells leggings, GFS white polo shirts, GFS shorts, P.E. tee shirts and a selection of GFS navy blue sweatshirts and fleece pullovers, which are regulation for uniform.
School year hours:
9 AM - 4 PM
Friday: 9 AM - Noon
Kerry Myers, Manager